Şieu-Măgheruş

The commune belongs to Bistriţa-Năsăud county and is found at a distance of 15 km from Bistriţa town, being the first commune in the west of it. Şieu-Măgheruş commune never belonged to other counties. The access to the commune is ensured by the county road 17.


Şieu-Măgheruş commune comprises seven localities namely: Şieu-Măgheruş, Chintelnic, Arcalia, Sărăţel, Crainimăt, Podireiul Chintelnicului and Valea Măgheruşului.


And it is situated along the valley of Şieu, downstream of its confluence with Bistriţa Ardelenească. Only the village Valea Măgheruşului is an exception, being located in the upper basin that has the same name, being a right tributary of Şieu.

 

The commune is bordered: to the north by Şintereag commune, to the north-west by Şieu-Odorhei commune, to the west and south-west by Lechinţa commune, to the south by Galaţii Bistriţei commune, to the east by Bistriţa town. 

 

History

 

From the archaeological discoveries carried out within Şieu- Măgheruş commune is shown the existence of human settlements since the Neolithic period, being found archaeological traces also from the eras following the Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, feudal and Late.


The period between the fifth century and the middle of the fourteenth century is characterized by differentiations within the village communities and by the gradual formation of the feudal domains. In the second half of the eleventh century, the pressure of the Pechenegs weakens and the Hungarian feudal state begins the gradual conquest of Transylvania, with its riches and fertile land.


The fights with the Pechenegs, the biggest enemies of the Hungarians, that took place during the time of the Holy King Ladislas (1077-1095), have been felt also on the territory of this commune. The abduction of the lumps of earth and of the freedom of the peasant was made by the nobles, turning them into thralls or serfs. In the twelfth century were brought the Szeklers and the Saxons by the Hungarian kings, to strengthen their dominion and to protect the borders of the province. The period 1821-1914 does not stand out in the archive documents of Bistriţa-Năsăud County, from that period existing very little information regarding Șieu-Măgheruș commune.


Although the 1848 revolution in Transylvania was defeated, it has brought improvements for all the inhabitants of Transylvania, consequently also for the inhabitants of the commune. Thus they became free, they have acquired land, and the relationships between peasants and nobles have changed, being introduced "the lease".


In 1897 takes place the partial allotment of the peasants, the inhabitants of Şieu-Măgheruş village and of Valea Măgheruşului receiving land in the strip ground "Lab" from Şieu-Măgheruş.

 

Chintelnic village is mentioned in the written documents, starting with the year 1279. From the variants of the name of the locality it is shown that in 1279 it was called Kendtelek, in 1300 Kenteluk, in 1458 Kentheleke, in 1612 Kendteleke, and the Romanians always called it Tintelnic Chintelnic, or even Cincelinc.


Arcalia village is documentary attested with its current name in 1355. It is however much older. Here it was discovered a chariot wheel, made of bronze, dating back to 4000 years ago. Etymologically, Arcalia means "The beauty of Ares", the Thracian-Dacian god of war.


Sărăţel village, name given by the huge salt deposits which are in the form of springs and in solid state, has a distant history in relation to the salt exploitations which have been known since the antiquity.

 

Touristic routes

 

1. Şieu- Măgheruş : Arcalia village- Bistriţei Hills- Şieului Hills - Şieu Ridge/Şieu River at the confluence with Măgheruş river - "Bethlen" castle, dating back to the eighteenth century, inhumation grave with inventory Hallstatt Culture 1200-450/350 BC, Church sixteenth century, Dendrological park (forest reservation).

 

2. Şieu- Măgheruş: Sărăţel village - Bistriţei Hills - Şieului Hills - Şieu Ridge - Cetate Hill,Penelor/ Şieu river at the confluence with Bistriţa Ardeleană river - traces of a Dacian fortress with earth fortifications , from the first century BC- the first century AD, Massif of salt (geological reservation).

 

 

Back